Study Abroad

Programs offered by UC Berkeley and UCEAP (UC-wide)

The University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) runs several different programs in Italy during the academic year, tailored for a wide variety of needs, interests, and levels of linguistic competence.

Fall, Spring and Year-long programs at Italian universities for a junior year abroad offer continuing language study coupled with a variety of subjects taught in Italian. Details on UCEAP-sponsored programs, application requirements, and information on study abroad through other institutions can be found by starting with their home page.

An overview for the following programs is available at the Berkeley Study Abroad website.

  • Summer: Florence or Trieste
  • Fall or Spring: Bologna, Florence, Milan, Rome
  • Year-long (Fall and Spring): Bologna

Internships are also available in Bologna and Rome in a wide variety of fields such as business, teaching English, translation work, health, broadcasting, apprenticeships with local artists and much more. For more information, select from the links below.

Internships in Bologna

Internships in Rome: Spring

Programs offered by other UCs

Summer study-abroad programs at other UCs are also open to UC Berkeley students. Course credit transfers between UCs, but additional program fees may apply.

Programs available outside the UC System

Students occasionally choose to go on a study-abroad program offered outside the UC system. While this can be a productive option, the transfer of credits can be a significant issue, and students should become well-informed both about the credentials of the program of interest and the procedures for counting work done toward one’s Berkeley degree. Please review the Berkeley Study Abroad guidelines for independent study abroad programs here.

In order for credit to transfer to your UC Berkeley transcript, the sponsoring institution must be a 4-year, degree-granting institution or assign credit through another university (see the program’s Academics pages for details).

Berkeley Study Abroad contact information, location, hours.
Berkeley Study Abroad advisor for Italy is Renee Camarena.
Full list of advisors here.


Majors and Minors Advising

Declared majors and minors and those intending to major or minor in Italian Studies should plan an appointment with our Undergraduate Student Services Adviser well in advance of applying to any program for study abroad. Issues ranging from language preparation prior to departure, the timing for completion of major or minor requirements, preliminary review of potential courses to be taken abroad, time to degree and other considerations will be discussed and a workable study list plan insuring a timely completion of one’s degree will be established. With careful planning, students can apply to their program of choice with confidence that requirements will be met while enjoying their experience abroad.

Upon approval, up to three courses (12 units) may be applied in fulfillment of major requirements; for minors, up to two courses (8 units) may be applied for minor requirements.

For an appointment, contact Amanda Minafo, Undergraduate Student Services Adviser.

For confirmation of transferable coursework for the major or minor upon your return, plan to make an appointment with Professor Mia Fuller, our Faculty Undergraduate Adviser.

Italian Language Proficiency

Programs emphasizing the study of Italian language and culture require a pre-departure proficiency at a minimum of Italian 4 (Advanced Italian). Course lectures, reading, and written assignments are in Italian. Although ILP and Pre-ILP courses are an option, these intensive Italian language courses, taken abroad over the course of three to four weeks, may not be sufficient preparation for some students.

For questions regarding your proficiency level to ensure successful study abroad, please contact Dr. Giuliana Perco.