UNDERGRADUATE MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (50 UNITS)
Lower Division Language (18 units):
- Italian Studies 1, 2, 3 and 4, Elementary/Intermediate/Advanced Italian or their equivalent in linguistic proficiency.
Upper-Division (32 units):
- Language: Italian Studies 101, Advanced Writing Workshop (4 units)
and Italian 102, Italian Through the Arts (4 units)
- Introduction to Italian Culture and Literature: Italian Studies 105, History of Italian Culture (4 units)
- Electives: chosen from Italian literature, cultural studies, history, and film. See elective selections below (20 units/5 courses).
- Up to 8 units or 2 courses with primary readings and discussion in English may be counted toward the total major unit requirement offered in the Italian Studies department and departments such as History of Art, History, and occasionally, Medieval Studies or Music. Courses in other departments may be taken with advance permission of the Faculty Advisor.
- Upper-division Italian Studies classes with instruction in English may be taken in Italian (by completing readings and written work in Italian) if the student has completed Italian 101, and with permission of the instructor.
Electives offered by Italian Studies (some in Italian, others in English): 101*, 102*, 105*, 109, 110, 112, 115, 117, 120, 130A, 130B, 160, 163, 170, 175
*Once the Italian Studies 101, 102 or 105 requirement is fulfilled, 101, 102 and/or 105 can be repeated for elective credit with Faculty Advisor approval, if the content is sufficiently different.
Elective selections in affiliated departments (in English): Art and History of Art 145, 160, 161,162; History 106A, 106B, 149, C157
Education Abroad: Up to 12 units/3 courses may count toward upper-division requirements with Faculty Advisor approval. At least 12 units must be taken in residence. All courses for the major must be taken on a lettergrade basis. A grade point average of 2.0 must be maintained in the major and overall.
THE HONORS PROGRAM
To enter the honors program, in addition to having a minimum overall grade point average of 3.3, majors must have completed at least 20 upper division units in the major with a minimum grade point average of 3.5. Candidates must enroll in Italian Studies H195 for one semester in their senior year, during which they will carry out research and write an honors thesis under the guidance of a faculty member. Students who meet the gradepoint requirements must still first consult with the Faculty Advisor in order to pursue an honors thesis.